Working For: LGiU International
Deadline: September 6th 2019, 17:00 (interviews 13th)
To apply: email firstname.lastname@example.org with a CV and covering letter (see details below)
The LGiU is a membership organisation and think tank working to promote local democracy. We produce a wide range of information products for local government, private and charitable sectors. We operate in England, Scotland and Ireland. We are soon to launch in Australia and in 2020 we will be launching a news service for local government globally. As part of the focus for our international work, we are now recruiting a new team in to lead on the commissioning, production, editing and publishing of our daily news and policy information services.
We are particularly looking for a candidate who has a good understanding of Irish local government.
We are seeking an outstanding individual to work with our new team. Initially, this will include significant contributions to the following:
- Producing our daily news for Australia.
- Developing a global daily news service.
- Commissioning and editing policy briefings (In conjunction with our Commissioners in England, Ireland and Scotland).
- Checking and uploading policy briefings.
- Updating the LGiU website.
- Supporting policy blogs.
- Organising and supporting visits to LGiU members.
- Sending out updates from LGiU to our members.
The position is permanent and full time at 35 hours per week. This role is suitable for graduates/post-graduates, or individuals who are looking to take a next step to working in local government, policy development or a membership body. It will be based at the LGiU’s offices in London. The LGiU is a flexible employer. There will be periodic visits to Edinburgh and Dublin.
This role will give you the opportunity to work across different aspects of a busy think-tank, including; membership relations, liaison with councils, policy and communications.
The role carries excellent prospects for the right candidate to work in the publishing and local government spheres.
- Production of daily news bulletins
- Check policy briefings and upload to the LGiU website
- Commission and edit policy briefings
- Check and send communications to members via Mailchimp
- Organise visits to member councils in Scotland, Ireland and England
- Drafting and sending weekly briefings to our members
- Managing correspondence between LGiU and members
- Day-to-day administration, as required
- Administrative support to the information services team
- Good IT skills with the ability to learn how to use different programmes. We use Mailchimp, Nutshell CRM, Trello and WordPress
- A demonstrable interest in local government and policy.
- Outstanding written communication and analytical skills coupled with a consistently high level of attention to detail
- Excellent editorial skills and ability to convey written information concisely.
- An interest in developing LGIU membership globally
- An appreciation of local councils and the role of Councillors
- Excellent organisational and time management skills; with the ability to work under pressure
- Ability to think on your feet and work with minimal supervision
- Educated to degree level
- Clear thinker, with strong sense of self-initiative and drive
Friday 6th September at 5.00pm. Please note that applications will not be accepted after this time. Interviews will be held on Friday 13th September 2019.
To apply for this opportunity please send a copy of your CV and a covering letter of no more than one side of A4 which outlines: why you are interested in this post; and how your experience meets the person specification to email@example.com for the attention of Debra Stanislas.
If you have any questions about this role, please contact Andy Johnston by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or ring 0207 554 2800.